The Premier FEA Solver for Structural Simulation
An industry standard for over 40 years, Nastran is a finite element (FE) solver for stress, vibration, buckling, structural failure, heat transfer, acoustics and aeroelasticity analyses. Manufacturers as well as engineering suppliers in aerospace, automotive, electronics, heavy machinery, medical device, and other industries rely on NX Nastran software for their critical engineering computing needs so they can produce safe, reliable, and optimized designs within increasingly shorter design cycles.
Available as a standalone solver or integrated in NX CAE, NX Nastran is credited with driving millions of dollars out of product development costs because building a computer model and digitally testing performance is cheaper, faster, and more effective than the physical prototyping processes it replaces. With increased product quality, companies can also save on potential warranty costs.
Multiple Solution Domains – One Solver
- NX Nastran solves most structural analysis problems for linear and nonlinear analysis, dynamics, acoustics, rotor dynamics, aeroelasticity and optimization. The advantage to having all these solutions available in a single solver is that input/output file formats are the same for all solution types, greatly simplifying modelling processes.
Computational Performance and Numerical Accuracy
- Finite element analysis (FEA) models have consistently grown and fidelity as engineers continue to leverage increasing hardware computing capacity to tackle more complex problems. Performance is what makes NX Nastran the solution of choice for such problems. NX Nastran offers two distinct parallel processing capabilities. Shared memory parallel processing (SMP) is the preferred technology for either multiprocessor nodes with shared memory or processor nodes with multiple cores. Distributed memory processing (DMP) can provide much higher levels of scalability for major computational challenges such as large system-level static and dynamic analyses.
Ease of Modelling and Engineering Workflow
- You can easily create NX Nastran models through NX CAE or several other commercial FEA pre-processors that support NX Nastran. To assist the modelling process even more, NX Nastran includes unique features such as simplified component connectivity, super elements to simplify complex FE modelling, automatic dependency conflict resolution, and direct interfaces to multibody dynamics (MBD) solutions.
- You can use NX Nastran to solve a variety of advanced applications, such as NVH (noise, vibration, and harshness) problems in the automotive industry, composites analysis in the aerospace industry, and complex coupled thermo-structural problems in electronics and a few other industries.
Flexibility and Openness
- NX Nastran gives you the flexibility to write your own applications and add your own custom analysis modules with the direct matrix abstraction program (DMAP). You can also combine NX Nastran with third-party solvers for coupled analysis by taking externally generated force field results as a load to an NX Nastran structural model. Siemens also works with several solution partners to enable their applications to interface with NX Nastran.
Scalable Licensing and Bundling
- Companies ranging from small engineering firms to large, multi-national manufacturers use NX Nastran for their structural simulation needs. This is made possible through NX Nastran’s flexible and scalable licensing and bundling options with NX Nastran Desktop and NX Nastran Enterprise. NX Nastran Desktop licensing is ideal for smaller models that can be solved efficiently on a desktop, without the need for centralized computing servers. NX Nastran Enterprise licensing gives large analysis teams or those who have a need to simulate large models the flexibility to deploy the solver on clusters.
On-demand, Pay-per-use, Cloud Computing
- Engineers increasingly need to speed up their product validation process for solving large models or perform sensitivity analyses on models to determine the relative influence of many parameters on their models via design of experiments (DOEs). Doing so with their current infrastructure can be prohibitively time-consuming or computationally intensive. NX Nastran is available through a software as a service (SaaS) model in partnership with Rescale, a cloud engineering simulation platform. This combines NX Nastran with on-demand high performance computing (HPC) and enables you to seamlessly adjust compute capacity as your demand changes. Large-scale DOEs or multi-disciplinary optimizations can be setup efficiently with a variety of hardware choices that optimize performance of the NX Nastran solution.